Salade niçoise by Julia Child
Dressing the tomatoes, beans and potatoes as described below is
totally worth the extra effort!
- 1 head of Boston Lettuce, large, washed and dried
- 2 to 3 Tbs virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed, blanched, refreshed in cold water, and dried
- 2/3 to 1 cup salad dressing, such as the Oil and Lemon Dressing (recipe HERE)
- 3 or 4 fine rip red tomatoes, peeled, if you wish, and cored, quartered and seasoned before serving
- 8 to 10 ounces oil-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 quart of French Potato salad (recipe HERE)
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, halved lengthwise
- 1 can flat anchovy filets packed in oil, opened and drained just before serving
- 1/2 cup black Nicoise-type olives
- 3 or 4 Tbs. capers
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
Shortly before serving, line a handsome, large and wide salad bowl or a roomy platter with lettuce leaves, drizzle a little olive oil on them, and dust with a sprinkling of salt.
Toss the beans in a mixing bowl with a little of the dressing, and correct seasoning.
Drizzle a spoonful or two of the dressing over the tomatoes.
Season the tuna lightly with a spoonful or two of dressing.
Place the potatoes in the center of the bowl or platter; mound beans at strategic intervals, interspersing them with tomatoes and mounds of tuna.
Ring the salad with the eggs and curl an anchovy filet on top of each.
Spoon a little more vinaigrette over all; scatter on olives, capers, and parsley. Serve as soon as possible.