Cantucci (Italian Almond Cookies) from www.aseasyaspie.com
2 cups+1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, sifted
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon grated orange zest (or lemon zest)
1 teaspoon amaretto or ½ teaspoon almond extract
4.4 ounces raw, unpeeled almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs, honey, orange zest, amaretto and mix all the ingredients.
- Once you have a crumbly, soft mixture, add the almonds.
- Transfer the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it into 2 logs that are approximately 30 cm (12 inch) long, and 5 cm (2 inch) wide.
- Place the logs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or with a silicone mat.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove the logs from the oven and let them cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Place a log on a cutting board and using a sharp, serrated knife, cut it diagonally into 1/2 inch slices.
- Put the cookies back on the baking sheet and bake them for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the cantucci from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Store them in a sealed container for several weeks.